To descale an electric kettle, you will need the following items:
- White vinegar
- Soft brush or cloth
- Dish soap (optional)
Here are the steps to descale an electric kettle:
- Unplug the kettle and allow it to cool down completely.
- Pour a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and water into the kettle. Make sure to fill it up to the maximum water level and not exceed it. If there are specific descaling instructions provided by the manufacturer, follow those instead.
- Plug the kettle back in and switch it on, bringing the vinegar-water mixture to a boil.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, turn off the kettle and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes to allow the vinegar to dissolve any mineral deposits inside.
- During this time, you can use a soft brush or cloth to scrub the inside of the kettle, particularly the areas with heavy scaling. Be gentle to avoid scratching the surface.
- After the vinegar has soaked, pour out the mixture and rinse the kettle thoroughly with water to remove any remaining vinegar residue.
- Fill the kettle with clean water and bring it to a boil again, then discard the water.
- Repeat the process of filling the kettle with clean water, boiling, and discarding the water once or twice to ensure the vinegar taste and odor are completely gone.
- If desired, give the exterior of the kettle a wipe down with a damp cloth and a mild dish soap to remove any dirt or stains.
- Rinse the kettle once more with clean water to remove any remaining residue.
- Your electric kettle is now descaled and ready to use again.
Note: It's essential to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions for descaling your specific electric kettle to avoid any damage.