To remove unpleasant odors from your refrigerator, you can follow these steps:
- Empty the fridge: Remove all items from your refrigerator and place them in a cooler or another location to keep them cool while you clean.
- Dispose of expired or spoiled food: Check all items for any signs of spoilage or expiration dates. Toss out anything that has gone bad or is no longer safe to consume.
- Remove shelves and drawers: Take out all removable shelves, drawers, and any other detachable parts from your refrigerator.
- Clean with a mixture: Create a cleaning solution by mixing equal parts of water and vinegar or water and baking soda. Both vinegar and baking soda are natural deodorizers and disinfectants.
- Wipe down the interior: Using a clean cloth or sponge soaked in the cleaning solution, thoroughly wipe down the interior walls, shelves, and drawers of the refrigerator. Be sure to clean all crevices, edges, and corners.
- Pay attention to gaskets and seals: Gently clean the rubber gaskets and seals around the doors as they can also retain odors.
- Remove tough stains: For any stubborn stains or stuck-on food, make a paste with baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the stained area and let it sit for a few minutes before scrubbing with a soft brush or sponge.
- Rinse and dry: Once you have cleaned all areas, rinse the interior surfaces with a clean, damp cloth to remove any remaining cleaning solution. Finally, thoroughly dry all surfaces before putting the shelves and drawers back in place.
- Use activated charcoal or coffee grounds: To help absorb any lingering odors, place a small bowl of activated charcoal or coffee grounds inside your refrigerator. Leave it there for a few days to absorb odors effectively. Replace the charcoal or coffee grounds as needed until the odor has completely disappeared.
- Freshen the fridge: Before putting the food back, place an open box of baking soda on one of the shelves. This will help absorb any future odors and keep your refrigerator smelling fresh.
Remember to regularly clean your refrigerator to prevent odors from building up again.